Our next meeting will take place on Monday, April 12 from 2:15 to 4:15 PM. At that meeting, we will explore built-up capitals. At right is an example of the letters we’ll be playing with: built-up caps made with Speedball C-5 nib and 3 tubes of gouache on a 9″ x 12″ sheet of Strathmore Drawing 400 (the 80# kind — and I regret using this paper!). Click on the image for a closer look.
In order to play along, have the following supplies ready:
- a sheet of paper at least 9″ x 12″ that can take some water, such as watercolor, Arches Text Wove, or multimedia paper
- Speedball C-5 nib (or Mitchell #3 or Brause/Tape 1mm nib)
- at least one tube of gouache or watercolor
- palette, loading brush
- water jar, paper towels
If you want to use guidelines, here is a PDF with the guidelines which I used for the example page. You can trace them onto your sheet using a window or lightbox. Or mark your own pencil guidelines and use a t-square. These guidelines are 17mm apart for the lettering and 4mm apart for the space between the lines.
I’ll send out a Zoom invitation a week before the meeting. If you’d like to attend and are not being included in the regular group emails, write to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll include you in the invitation.
Note the time change: for the next 3 months, we’ll be meeting at this new time, but still on the second Monday of each month. Here are the next four meeting dates:
- Monday, April 12, 2:15-4:15 PM
- Monday, May 10, 2:15-4:15 PM
- Monday, June 14, 2:15-4:15 PM