Bridger Mountain Scribes
The Bridger Mountain Scribes of Montana comprises calligraphers in southwest Montana, including Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway. We meet once a month to discuss calligraphy, artists books, and other book arts, usually on the 2nd Monday of the month at the Bozeman Public Library.
We are a member guild of the statewide Montana guild, Big Sky Scribes. If you’d like to find out more about calligraphy in southwest Montana, attend our meetings, or join the guild, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next meeting April 8
Our April meeting of Bridger Mountain Scribes will be held on Monday, April 8, 2019 from 11 AM to 1 PM at the library.
The program –
- Painting! We’ll paint some sheets of paper using some of the techniques taught by Alisa Golden in her book Painted Paper. These techniques may be something you want to include in your year-long project, or just something for the future.
- Show and share — Bring anything you’ve been working on, including progress on the year-long project.
What to bring — At least a week before our meeting I’ll send out a full list of supplies, but plan to bring these:
- Several large sheets of 90# or 140# watercolor (any press) and/or Arches Text Wove, at least 18″ x 24 but the full 22″ x 30″ would be best. ATW full sheet is so large at 25″ x 40″, a half sheet will be better than a full sheet. We will paint 3-4 sheets, maybe more. Other options (in case you have them on hand):
- A couple or several bottles of any inks you have already, such as FW, Higgins, sumi, Bombay, etc.
- If your ink bottles don’t have droppers, bring a couple of eye droppers as well.
- Some large brushes such as hake brushes, house-painting flat brushes, etc.
- Optional: newsprint (blank) for wet painted sheets, blow dryer
Next meeting March 11
Our March meeting of Bridger Mountain Scribes will be held at the library on Monday, March 11, from 11 AM to 1 PM.
- The program – We will be making models of the modular book and sharing our progress on the content.
- The 2019 year-long project —
We are to have chosen our text and cut at least some materials to size in preparation for beginning to assemble the book. Remember that each part of the book can be done (and redone!) separately and the book can be added to at will, so bring at least 5 folios and 5 book wrappers to get you started at the February meeting. A five-inch-square book will require materials in the following sizes:
folios: 10″ x 5″, grain short
page wrappers: 10″ x 10″ square
spine piece: [width of finished book + 1″] x 5″
- Show and share — Bring anything you’ve been working on.
What to bring:
- for folios: 6 sheets of heavier paper cut to 5″ x 10″, grain short
- for wrappers: 6 sheets of paper cut to 10″ x 10″
- for the spine: 1 sheet of heavier paper cut to 5″ x 5″
- any progress you’ve already made on your year-long project
- anything else you’d like to share with the group