Our next meeting will take place on Monday, September 12, from 2:00 to 4:00 PM in the meeting room at the Cold Smoke Coffeehouse just off 19th and Oak.
Due to my illness, we didn’t meet in August. At our July meeting, we each got very good starts at making a “scribble”. Hopefully we’ve continued to work on those since then, and I hope to see some finished work at the September meeting. We also looked at some more italic variations, including those on a new sheet I distributed at the meeting.
On September 12 we’ll delve into samplers. A sampler can be grown entirely organically or planned meticulously, and there is a wide spectrum of options between these two approaches. I’ll bring a work-in-progress showing the steps from beginning to finished artwork. For this you’ll need:
- at least one large sheet of paper, at least 11″ x 14″ but larger is better
- a set of quotations on your chosen topic, ordered from longest to shortest for ease of use
- pencil and eraser
- your choices of pen nibs (or Pilot Parallel Pens)
- as needed (if you’re not bringing parallel pens)
- travel watercolor set
- 3 tubes of watercolor or gouache, red/blue/yellow)
- palette (if not travel set)
- loading brushes
As always, please bring anything you’re working on or finished recently, including (but not limited to) scribbles, samples, italic variations.