Our next meeting will take place on Monday, June 12, from 2:30 to 4:30 PM in the meeting room at the Cold Smoke Coffeehouse just off 19th and Oak.
At our May meeting, after an interesting show-and-tell session, we began planning the Big Sky Scribes workshop that we will host this fall. If you are interested in helping to plan this workshop, which we draw calligraphers from around the state to learn from a nationally acclaimed teacher, please attend our next meeting. We’d love to have you join us.
At our June 12 meeting, we will begin a long-term project exploring watercolors and monoline lettering. We will work on 6 x 9 watercolor paper; at the end, we will make a simple portfolio wrapper for our work — no stitching or gluing involved.
Supplies to bring:
- 6 x 9 watercolor paper — recommendation: Canson XL cold pressed heavyweight watercolor paper, 140 lb, available at Michael’s. Cut 20 so you will have enough for the entire project/
- Practice paper for working with monoline alphabet
- Watercolor container
- Water bottle & water
- Paper towels
- Micron pens, black, in varying sizes .005-08
- Artist tape or drafting tape (I personally like Scotch Painter’s tape which is a purple color)
- Wooden board, Masonite or hard cardboard (to tape down watercolor paper)
- Watercolor pencils (optional)
You will receive a monoline template at the June meeting. Come prepared with your supplies and be ready to jump into this long-term project!
As always, please bring anything you’re working on or finished recently. We want to see what creative thing you’ve been up to!